Associated Music Teachers League
Mid-Season Musicales Event Details
THE 2020 MID-SEASON MUSICALES
DATE: Sunday, March 8, 2020, at 2:30 PM & 4:00 PM.
VENUE: Christ & St. Stephen’s Church, 120 West 69th Street, New York, NY 10023.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications must be completed by the Instructors and submitted by Tuesday, January 14, 2020.
VIDEO DEADLINE: Video auditions must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, February 10, 2020.
- For each applicant, a YouTube video link must be set up and sent to: email@example.com
- Each YouTube video must be labelled with the initials of the event (MSM), followed by the applicant’s initials and age. E.g., for a 14-year-old John Smith, the post should be labelled MSM2020JS14.
- Each video must comprise a good-quality one-angle shot, showing the performer’s full body; applicants must not state their names, or other personal information, in their recording. No multi-angle shots or other forms of amplification are allowed.
- Only full recordings of the repertoire selection(s) must be posted; partial recordings will be disqualified automatically.
- Changes in the audition schedule cannot be made once the schedule has been mailed out.
AGE LIMIT: Pianists, Percussionists, String Instrumentalists, Singers, Wind and Brass Players up to age 18, and still in High School at the time of auditioning. There is no minimum age requirement.
ACCOMPANISTS: Non-pianists are responsible for bringing their own accompanists.
ENTRIES: Both solo and chamber music performances are welcome. Small chamber ensembles are encouraged to enter. If the instructor of an ensemble performer is an AMTL Member, that entry may occur in addition to further entries by the same teacher.
REPERTOIRE: Only two (2) compositions per entry may be presented for performance, and one must be from the Baroque, Classical or Romantic Periods. Individual movements of Sonatinas or Sonatas will be considered as individual pieces.
- Singers’ audition repertoire must include at least one piece displaying classical vocal technique, style, and repertoire. Minimum level – folk song arrangements. If timing permits a second piece, a ‘non-belt’ musical theater piece could be an option.
- All solo instrumental and vocal music must be fully prepared and performed from memory. Abridged and/or simplified arrangements can be accepted for ensembles only.
PERFORMANCE TIME: No longer than eight (8) minutes in total, even for entries comprising two (2) compositions. In Elementary/Intermediate Levels and Voice, both pieces may be accepted if total performance does not exceed three (3) minutes.
EVALUATION-SELECTION: It is not unusual for only one composition to be selected for performance. If a performance exceeds its stipulated time, both the performer and his/her instructor will be automatically disqualified from future AMTL events within the season. The Adjudicators’ evaluations will be emailed to the individual Instructors.
MEMBERS: To enter students at the discounted fee rate for AMTL Members, an instructor must be a Member at least since December 2019. AMTL Members must not be in arrears in the payment of their dues at the time of application; otherwise, Non-Member fees will apply. Applicants and their instructors must be in good standing.
FEES & TICKETS
FOR AMTL MEMBERS:
$53 per solo entry ($25 Application-Audition Fee + $28 Concert Fee; includes 4 tickets)
$78 per ensemble ($25 Application-Audition Fee + $53 Concert Fee; includes 8 tickets)
$78 per solo entry ($25 Application-Audition Fee + $28 Concert Fee; includes 4 tickets + $25 Teacher Fee)
$103 per ensemble ($25 Application-Audition Fee + $53 Concert Fee; includes 8 tickets + $25 Teacher Fee)
- Teacher Fee must be paid (by Non-Members) separately per entry, as it is not a student expense.
- Concert Fee will be returned to the auditioning applicants who will not be selected to perform at the Concert.
- Application-Audition and Non-Member Teacher Fees are non-refundable.
TICKETS: Additional tickets will be available for sale at the Concert venue, at $10 each.